Friday, January 25, 2008

1st day at Starbucks

Wow. Let me just say, wow. Today was...a day.

Literally, though. Most of the 5 hours I spent filling out paper work and meeting my partners. It was pretty fun though. The people are extremely nice and helpful. I opened many packets and read over booklets and did coffee tastings. Mmm...if you ever get a chance to, and a barista offers, do a coffee tasting! Coffee out of the french press is awesome, especially if its the French roast. Mmm... I'm jealous Dennis has a french press. I don't have any money at the moment to buy one.

So, we tried coffee, obviously, and we also took a tour around the shop, learned to make the drinks we wanted. I tried a Passion Lemonade Iced Tea for the first time today and it was real good. I suggest it. One of my partners, Austin, said it's also good as green tea. That guy is pretty funny. I think him and I are on the same level of humor/sarcasm, but we'll have to see. Haha.

I'm excited! This next week is going to be chock full of more training and exercises! I haven't been able to get my free bag of coffee but I think that can wait. I'm not in any hurry at the moment.

Here's a fact. I found out that after you grind a bag of coffee, it's only good for 7 days after that, according to Starbucks standards. That was pretty interesting. I wonder if it's the same for Folgers and other ground beans.


Oh the lady I'm training with is actually from Mexico and this is her first job. It was interesting hearing all the questions she had about the company and how people did their jobs. She asked a whole bunch of questions I didn't think to ask but I gained some knowledge after knowing the answer. It was interesting. I'm glad I'm training with her.

I got my aprons today.
:)
They're so cool.

My day at Starbucks was pretty cool, even when I sat around waiting for my manager to come back to the table to check out our workbooks. I sat there for about 20 minutes just watching customers and baristas. It was pretty pleasant. I wonder what Monday's going to bring.

*sigh...* I've never looked forward to a Monday work day like I'm doing right now.

1 comment:

Bobby said...

That's a good change of gears for you from your last job. You'll really do well here, heh, I believe you'd do well at anything :)

My Profile

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm Jane, an internet lifecaster.