Friday, November 7, 2008

Snickadoodas via. Janea

I've been getting tons of requests for me to share my Snickerdoodle recipe. Well, here you go!!


Snickadoodas
Bake: 10 minutes + plus, eh... a minute for luck
Yield: about 25 cookies


Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened (I use a huge tub of Country Crock. It's the best tasting, in my opinion, than those butter stick things)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, shortening, butter and eggs in a large bowl with a large spoon. I've never actually tried to do this with an electric mixer before. I mean, it could work, but I'd rather use my hands.
4. Plop in flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt on top of the mixture and then mix it all together. I tried mixing them into the mixture but the dough ended up being waaay too sticky in the end. Adding everything and then mixing them makes it easier to shape them without having to wash your hands every 5 minutes.
5. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch or so balls. Roll in the sugar-cinnamon mixture you set aside before. Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Unless you have an enormous oven and huge cookie sheets, you'll have to use 2 cookie sheets. Bake about 10 minutes on the middle rack. Don't put both cookie sheets in at the same time or you'll get burnt or under-cooked cookies. Who wants that?
6. Once the 10 minutes is up, open the oven to see if they're golden-ish. If they're still puffy and yellow-ish, bake for 1 more minute. If not, take them out and place the cookie sheet on a cooling rack before actually taking the cookies off.
7. While those are cooling on the cookie sheet-cooling rack, put the other cookie sheet in for another 10 minutes.
8. Wait a couple minutes then take a spatula to the cookies and place them directly onto the cooling rack to cool. This makes it so that the cookies don't fall apart right out of the oven. The sugar-cinnamon on top hardens the outside of the cookies and it makes it easier to take off the cookie sheets.
9. Let cookies cool for about 20 minutes or so before you eat them. Or just eat them whenever you feel they're cool enough. They're awesome warm. Enjoy! Let me know what you think when you make them! They're awesome this time of year.

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Wow, I only had to beg you to do this for a day.

champura said...

Cool, thanks Jane! :)

The only thing missing from the recipe is you to make them for me. HA!

My Profile

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm Jane, an internet lifecaster.